People behind the PhDs 09: Robert Poole – Preview
Robert Poole Bio
Robert Poole is Assistant Professor of Applied Linguistics and TESOL at the University of Alabama. He has taught English in Nicaragua and South Korea as well as several language institutes in the US. His research focuses on corpus-aided approaches to language teaching and learning, corpus*-aided discourse* analysis, and ecolinguistics*. Follow at @RobertEPoole.
- *corpus = a collection of written texts
- *discourse = written or spoken communication or debate.
- ecolinguistics = explores the role of language of humans and the physical environment interactions
A Guide to Using Corpora for English Language Learners
This textbook will help you unlock and access the great potential of corpus linguistics for language learning. While other books discuss how instructors may implement corpora in the classroom, this book provides step-by-step illustrated examples to help learners, graduate students, and language instructors visualize and understand the potential of corpus linguistics for language learning. It guides you through the application of corpus searches for writing, vocabulary and cultural study and provides guidance on building your own corpus. The hands-on approach will strengthen your development into an autonomous language learner and help instructors learn to design and implement their own corpus activities. With tutorials on a range of popular and increasingly user-friendly corpora, it helps usher in a new era of corpus-aided language learning.
Chapter 1: Learning the Essentials
Chapter 2: Corpus Searches for Vocabulary Learning
Chapter 3: Corpus Searches for Writing
Chapter 4: Corpus Searches for Cultural Study and Conversation Topics
Chapter 5: Building Your Own Corpus
Corpus Resources; Additional Readings; Glossary
Music by Kate SC
About Dr. Z Podcasts
The mission of Dr. Z Podcasts is to find, record, and share stories about humans engaged in one of the 6As* of life.
*6As = athletics, adventure, academics, art, advocacy, human algorithm. The 6As is the name of the book I am writing and the foundation for Dr. Z Podcasts.
About Dr. Z
Thanks for visiting my site. My name is Zachary Brooks, the “Z” behind “Dr. Z.” Enjoy the content and please send me questions and comments. *I earned a doctorate in Second Language Acquisition with concentrations in cognitive science and management from the University of Arizona.
Other Dr. Z Programs
- In the Bilingual Decision Making podcasts, Dr. Z returns to his dissertation topic to explore and share research on how one’s language and culture affect decision making.
- Science is driven by people which is why in People Behind the PhDs, Dr. Z interviews the people who have PhDs, their journey to earning PhDs, and their scientific and social research.
- Not accomplishing goals is a big part of life which creates opportunities for learning. In Win or Learn, we interview the people given an opportunity to learn after not achieving a goal.
- Since I’m doing a podcast, I might as well make an “about” section with a Podcast.I call it “About-ish” which is about me, more or less.
- Humans have it within them to change their own lives and lives of millions of others. Doubt it? Think of every advance in human history and you will realize the power of human algorithms.
- In The Daily Decision, Dr. Z delivers you a one-minute podcast on one decision making topic because you want to make better decisions.
- In Leaders on the Line, we explore technical problems and adaptive challenges various leaders face in business and politics. Every show has a theme such as “success,” “team,” or “strategy” in which Dr. Z and a guest do a deep dive into case studies to uncover gold.
This text/markup is included in all WP Posts.