People behind the PhDs 01: Ezra Smith – mental health issues, how normal 3-3
People behind the PhDs 01: Ezra Smith – Preview
In this episode, we talk about what led Dr. Smith into academia and researching concussions and the normalcy for humans to deal with mental health issues.
- 6% of the population at any given time suffers from depression
- 15% of the population has a chance of dealing with major depression the course of their lifetimes
- 50% of the population has a chance of having a psychological disorder over the course of their lifetime (anxiety disorders, drug abuse, depression, psychosis, cognitive disorders, developmental disorders, personality disorders)
Ezra’s specialty is the practice and science of clinical neuropsychology: he works one-on-one with patients living with depression, anxiety, psychosis, and neurodegenerative disorders, and he also studies the pathophysiology of these disorders with an eye towards identifying preclinical biomarkers and novel therapeutic targets.
According to the website Hope for Depression, the effects of depression worldwide include:
- Affects over 300 million people worldwide, regardless of culture, age, gender, religion, race or economic status.9
- Is one of the most debilitating conditions on the world, with severe depression rated in the same disability category as terminal stage cancer.10
- Is the leading cause of disability worldwide, and is a major contributor to the overall global burden of disease.11
9World Health Organization, Media Centre, Depression Fact Sheet, Updated February 2017.
10World Health Organization. The Global Burden of Disease: 2004 update. Available at http://www.who.int/healthinfo/global_burden_disease/2004_report_update/en/
11World Health Organization, Media Centre, Depression Fact Sheet, Updated February 2017.
More info at: http://psychophysiology.cpmc.columbia.edu/team/ees.html
Music by Kate SC
About Dr. Z Podcasts
The mission of Dr. Z Podcasts is to find, record, and share stories about humans engaged in one of the 6As* of life.
*6As = athletics, adventure, academics, art, advocacy, human algorithm. The 6As is the name of the book I am writing and the foundation for Dr. Z Podcasts.
About Dr. Z
Thanks for visiting my site. My name is Zachary Brooks, the “Z” behind “Dr. Z.” Enjoy the content and please send me questions and comments. *I earned a doctorate in Second Language Acquisition with concentrations in cognitive science and management from the University of Arizona.
Other Dr. Z Programs
- In the Bilingual Decision Making podcasts, Dr. Z returns to his dissertation topic to explore and share research on how one’s language and culture affect decision making.
- Science is driven by people which is why in People Behind the PhDs, Dr. Z interviews the people who have PhDs, their journey to earning PhDs, and their scientific and social research.
- Not accomplishing goals is a big part of life which creates opportunities for learning. In Win or Learn, we interview the people given an opportunity to learn after not achieving a goal.
- Since I’m doing a podcast, I might as well make an “about” section with a Podcast.I call it “About-ish” which is about me, more or less.
- Humans have it within them to change their own lives and lives of millions of others. Doubt it? Think of every advance in human history and you will realize the power of human algorithms.
- In The Daily Decision, Dr. Z delivers you a one-minute podcast on one decision making topic because you want to make better decisions.
- In Leaders on the Line, we explore technical problems and adaptive challenges various leaders face in business and politics. Every show has a theme such as “success,” “team,” or “strategy” in which Dr. Z and a guest do a deep dive into case studies to uncover gold.
This text/markup is included in all WP Posts.