Dr. Z (Zachary S. Brooks, PhD) is cited in Nature, Graduate Student Mental Health
Tucson, Arizona, USA — June 7, 2019 — Research by Dr. Z, also known as Zachary S. Brooks, PhD was recently cited in Nature: International Journal of Science. During his graduate studies he teamed up with Dr. Ezra Smith a research professor at New York State Psychiatric Institute and The Center for Neurosciences Tucson to investigate the effects of graduate studies on graduate and professional students mental health.
It is often the graduate and professional students who help earn high rankings for major research universities through their labor. “While graduate students’ lives may seem carefree, the students themselves are often required to take on additional debt and professional responsibilities while working for less than minimum wage,” shares Dr. Z (Zachary S. Brooks, PhD). The goal of the study was to identify potential low-cost interventions across campus that can improve graduate and professional student quality of life in school. In 2015, 309 students completed the survey (10.3% response rate). Responses were analyzed separately for Master (N=139) and Doctoral students (N=157). There were 196 female, and 102 male respondents. Ages ranged from 21 to 64 years old, with a modal age of 25. Dr. Smith added: “I’m happy to see increased awareness of mental health issues in graduate and professional students. Advanced education should not be bad for your health.”
For more sizzling academic content, check out the People Behind the PhDs, Season 1, starting August 26, 2019.
Other Dr. Z Podcasts and Programs
- In the Bilingual Decision Making podcasts, Dr. Z returns to his dissertation topic to explore and share research on how one’s language and culture affect decision making.
- Science is driven by people which is why in People Behind the PhDs, Dr. Z interviews the people who have PhDs, their journey to earning PhDs, and their scientific and social research.
- Not accomplishing goals is a big part of life which creates opportunities for learning. In Win or Learn, we interview the people given an opportunity to learn after not achieving a goal.
- Since I’m doing a podcast, I might as well make an “about” section with a Podcast.I call it “About-ish” which is about me, more or less.
- Humans have it within them to change their own lives and lives of millions of others. Doubt it? Think of every advance in human history and you will realize the power of human algorithms.
- In The Daily Decision, Dr. Z delivers you a one-minute podcast on one decision making topic because you want to make better decisions.
- In Leaders on the Line, we explore technical problems and adaptive challenges various leaders face in business and politics. Every show has a theme such as “success,” “team,” or “strategy” in which Dr. Z and a guest do a deep dive into case studies to uncover gold.
This text/markup is included in all WP Posts.